Friday, February 15, 2013

Revisiting Piper's words


I love good books.  I especially love challenging ones.  So I picked up our highlighted-up(not a real word, but you get the drift) copy of Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. This is my 4th time to read the very deep, inspiring, thought-provoking, and convicting book.  Awesome to chew on and discuss.  Here a few of my fav quotes:

"It is the will of God that we be uncertain about how life on this earth will turn out for us.  And therefore it is the will of the Lord that we take risks for the cause of God"
"The world is not impressed when Christians get rich and say thanks to God.  They are impressed when God is so satisfying that we give our riches away for Christ's sake and count it gain"
"God created us for this: to live our lives in a way that makes him look more like the greatness and the beauty and the infinite worth that he really is."

I'll tell you about a risk I took 20yrs ago and boy did it pay off.  I'd broken up with Mike because I was scared silly about knowing from the moment I met him, that I was to marry him.  We'd been broken up about 5 weeks and I was miserable--knew I'd screwed up!  The Baptist Student Union at our college had a Valentines skating party.  Lo and behold, the owner called for the dudes to line up on one side of the rink and the gals on the other.  She played some early 90's love songs and called me up.  I had to skate across to the dudes and pick my skating partner!!  UGGGH.  I skated straight to Mike and laced my hand in his.  What a risk it was.  He could have refused and who knows what kind of lame-o I'd ended up with??  But, here we are, 20yrs later, living life to the fullest.  That giant risk paid off BIG

1 comment:

  1. THat is SOOOOO very sweet!! We just started that book in our small group and I just started reading it!!!

    ReplyDelete