Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Catching up(birthdays, school..)

Abigail's 12th bday was yesterday.  We had a combo party with her good friend on Saturday.  It was an 80's themed rollerskating party.  Ohhh, that was such fun!  Mike and I took a great walk down memory lane.  I found original, purple Gloria Vanderbilt jeans that had a waistband up to my neck, or so it seemed, a stretchy belt, and a hideous purple and yellow sweater, topped with my cheer jacket from '87 and gold shrimp earrings.  Mike channelled his inner Miami Vice and sported an awful linen jacket with sleeves pushed up. Abby had the cutest(yes, brand new but looked like Valley Girl) outfit.  Her friends dressed up and were so cute!  Several of us parents dressed up also.  I made an 80's CD complete with Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, and some Tears for Fears.  She had enough money to buy herself a brand new iPod touch.  I'm excited because she is going to load it with games and music for our plane ride to S. Korea in October. Instead of gifts, Abby and C. asked their friends to bring large size diapers and pull-ups to be donated to a ministry near here that cares for children removed from neglectful homes.  The party guests brought tons of diapers! Abby never ever mentions her birth and/or adoption story.  We've always been very open and encourage her to talk about it.  On her birthday this year she asked if we knew what time she was born.  I felt like this was a big step.  Thankfully, our referral paperwork does say what time she was born(a 30week, 3 pound preemie--completely amazing that she is perfect!). 

After the party we celebrated my dad's bday.  We had a blast at an old time spring-fed water park.  He thrilled the grandkids by going off the trapeze bar into the deep water.  Uncle Doug tore a bicep :(   It was such a sweet and fun day!
Sunday was wonderful also.  Mike was honored to perform the baptism of the young man that he and Carter led to Christ at VBS in June.

Dillon started 3rd grade yesterday.  He wasn't exactly fired up.  In fact, walking down the hallway he kept his head tucked under my arm.  We were putting up his backpack when his teacher delivered a blow.  Stormie moved!  Stormie has been his best pal for the past 2-3 years.  She tells him where to go, eats lunch with him everyday, shows him what to do.  She was supposed to be in his class again.  I admit I felt a panic.  What would Dillon do without her?  I settled him in and walked out of the class fighting back tears.  NO Fair!  This kid has so many struggles already and now his constant school companion was gone.  I cried in the speech pathologists and diagnosticians arms, admitting my over-protective nature.  They were so precious and assured me this was a good growing experience for him and that they'd watch over him.  After school he was happy and said he'd had a good day. Tonight I put him to bed after a breathing treatment and with red, swollen eyes from allergies.  Every single year, the first week of school and he has asthma/allergy flare ups.

1 comment:

  1. I love getting to know about you and your precious kiddos!!!! I'm sorry about Dillon's asthma...allie hasn't had much trouble the last two years, but she's been terrible since school started...maybe it's worse this year?? I'm glad he had a good day....made me so sad to think about his loss:(( LOVE ABBY"s BDAY THEME! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete