Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Icepalooza of North Texas 2013

  I really hate being cold. My hands are freezing (I'm like Elsa in the new movie "Frozen"...which is a wonderful movie!).  Texas is the greatest place to live during the winter. We have 1 or 2 days of really cold and some light precip..enough to get some use out of the neglected winter gear, slip around a bit, take pretty pictures, have a fire, and by tomorrow...it is melting and sunny.  Perfecto...for me...65 and under is cold!
So, for this crazy winter storm that blew in last Thursday evening leaving us in the 20's, we are all crying Uncle!  Where is our beloved sunshine?? Life screeched to a halt.  School was out for 3 days because so many people live out in the country and the buses cant travel secondary roads.  We don't have snow plows around these parts...really it is embarrassing the way the world shuts down for 2 inches of snow/ice

As it happens pretty much every year, the ice/snow blows in and I always have to work.  I'm so blessed that Mike is a school administrator and can be home with the children.  Nurses have no excuse for not coming to work in bad weather and roads.  I'll spare you all the drama of the nightmarish Friday/Saturday experience.  But, I was one irritable, tired witch and it took me 2hours and 45 minutes to get home Saturday night (usually a 23 minute drive)!  This is the entrance to our neighborhood.  The city barricaded it due to ice.  We are very seriously considering my next car being a 4 wheel drive vehicle.  I'm not scared of driving on ice, I've been driving to work in it for the last 17 years (shout out to my parents...I'm so thankful you raised me to be a strong, fiercely independent woman!), but being trapped up in our neighborhood is kind of freaking us out.

This picture cracks me up!  Clearly Hudson needs some work in the preparing for winter play department.  Note the sandals and socks ;)


Our backyard has a fairly steep slope that ends in cedar brush and a fence.  The kids had a blast sledding down it on a skim board and in a plastic kiddie pool

1 comment:

  1. What A week!!!! It looks beautiful and I'm glad you stayed safe!!!

    ReplyDelete