Thursday, March 6, 2014

Running away


I'm running much more lately.  My nutso sister bullied me into it :)  We had a blast running a humongous 10K a few weeks ago.  There were 4500 runners.  I hadn't been planning on running the race due to lack of training and my food poisoning episode.  But, that morning, I showed up last minute and did just fine.  My muscles remembered what they used to do. And the last few weeks, the bug has bitten me.  There is something visceral and addicting about running.  My friend, Nat, and I have been meeting up to run 5 @5 (5 miles at 5am).  This weekend I'll push myself to 7.  I'm registering for my first 1/2 marathon for May 10.  That only leaves me 2 months to prep for a run/walk interval system for 13 miles.  This isn't something I must do or else feel defeat or shame. I am not trying to make a point...well, maybe that I'm not totally old and saggy.
Sometimes the alarm goes off to get up and I think I've surely lost my sanity.  However, during that hour of running in the dark and quiet, I seem to find my sanity; for that is the only time of the day when nobody talks to me or requests me to help them (be it sick patients at work, my family, my schoolwork). I pray and think, thus...Prinking.  And, I feel so healthy and strong.

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! I love running and prinking too! Can't wait to run with you on May 10th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous:((((( Good for you!! My hip has been hurting for 4 years after a race on March 3rd….four years ago. If I run more than about 15 min it hurts and all kind of burns. I've had steroid shots, physical therapy…and it still bothers me. ARRGHH!

    ReplyDelete