Friday, May 10, 2013

obey..uhhh


A conversation between Hudson, age 5, and momma, age older than she looks, while driving down the road in the minivan(side note, that poor van sounds like it is going to fall apart at the seams every time I hit a bump--212,000 miles on the sweet baby Honda and runs just fine)

Me: "Did God make you special?"
Hud: "yes"
Me: " Are you smart?"
Hud: "yes"
Me: "Are you a good boy?"
Hud: "yes"
Me: "Do you obey?"
Hud: "Uhhhhh"

In all actuality, he was dead on.  Hudson is special, made on purpose and for a purpose by God.  Hudson is super duper-wear-you-out-with-a-million-questions--smart.  Hudson is a good boy.  He is perfectly behaved at school and adored by all.  Does Hudson obey?  Uhhhh, well, sometimes.  He does, but it is in his own timing and in his own way.  But you see, delayed obedience is actually disobedience! I'm convicted that I need to focus more time and energy on intentional teachable moments.  He has been so easy going and smart that I've kind of let him coast.  Oh, and I've been a TAD busy the past 3 years.  However, no excuses.  God placed him in our family for a reason and I'm to use these formative years depositing love, correction, and encouragement in to my children.  So tonight I pulled out of the moving box my highlighted copy of The Connected Child by Dr. Karyn PurvisFor parents of kids whose beginnings were rocky, traumatic, or difficult, I can't recommend it enough.  We would be ignorant if we pretended that Hudson had not experienced a great trauma, heck, several traumas during his first 2 years of life. I need to try some of the tips out again on little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment