Wednesday, April 17, 2013

the 3 R's


Earth Day is Monday so this is a post in honor of Earth Day. There is a cute song about the 3R's "Reduce Reuse Recycle" by the phenomenal Jack Johnson(one of Carter's musical heroes).  It makes me smile when I hear it. I'm an earth momma wanna be.  No really, I was into recycling before it was cool.  As a senior in highschool, I tried to get my boss to start recycling.  Of course, we lived in a small town in Texas--ain't gonna fly!  My parents were always near-hippies(you can read their blog about their new adventure www.nottoooldforanewadventure.blogspot.com) and we reworked everything, never buying new! We sewed, shopped resale, dad used veggie cans as pain containers, ate whole wheat banana pancakes in the early 80's, and other such nonsense :)


Fast forward 23 years and I'm still into being a little crunchy granola.We currently recycle.  Our little suburb is shameful and has no recycle program incoorporated with the trash pick up.  We have a bin in the garage for recyclable items and every 3 weeks I take it to the center(my little boys enjoy going to the "cycle center").  Personally, taking care of the treasures God created is something a Christian should do.  God made this beautiful creation and we should be caretakers--not ravishly consume and spit out trash.
As Mike and I get ready to move, we are looking at what we can re-purpose for the "new" house.  Abby's nightstand is actually the one my sister and I grew up with.  It has been every color under the sun.  I spray painted it last week.  And Mike found an antique mirror frame(sans the mirror) at a cool shop in his hometown.  He painted it the same color as the nightstand and then painted in the board with chalkboard paint.


Know what else I'm so pumped about??? No HOA rules and 1 acre with trees.  I am going to have a laundry line!  Cannot wait to smell fresh clothes flapping in the wind ;)  And, next spring...a garden.  My friend Jenny has a lovely raised-bed garden and I want one also. 
Okay, I'm off to see Christine Caine speak at Gateway Church this morning.  LOVE me some Chris Caine.  I'll give a recap of what she says in a few days.  In the meantime, remember the 3 "R"s

No comments:

Post a Comment