Monday, December 13, 2010

The Christmas post part 1



I love that video!  I love the people that started the Advent Conspiracy.  What awesome swim against the stream people :)

So, here it is....I don't like Christmas much.  It is no surprise to those who know me or if you've followed this blog the last year and a half.  Here is what I wish Christmas was:

   simple, 
peaceful,
quiet,
 giving to those in need(lonely, sick, hurting, poor,orphaned),
humble,
 gentle,
no flash and bling,
candlelight Christmas eve service at church
time with family,
sweet music,
simple and lovely little green trees,
loving our Saviour and Lord. 
Go to fullsize image
Because you see, that is exactly how it was when Jesus was born(which, by the way, nobody on earth knows the exact date).  Our Messiah came in the lowliest of circumstances: 
poor,
lonely,
outcast from society,
unexpected circumstances,
quiet,
gentle,
lowly,
humble,
teen mom,
adoptive dad,


Here is what Christmas in most of America has become:  loud, obnoxious, credit card swiping, frantic, wasteful, battery-sucking, Santa loving, bloated, overfed, junk kids and adults don't need, stressful.  Our pastor says that Christmas is like having a huge birthday party for someone and everyone buys themselves presents, but ignores the birthday boy.

My very favorite blogger lives in Haiti with her family.  Here is an awesome post she wrote about her thoughts.  I loooooover her and her posts.  They are truly a swim against the stream kind of family.  And, since I've walked in the exact streets and visisted the ministries where they work, it means so much more to me.  I think you'll enjoy or be challenged by her.
http://allthingshendrick.blogspot.com/2010/11/christmas-christmas-time-is-here.html

I'll post a bit more in depth about my personal Christmas journey later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment