Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tips to share???

I'm betting someone reading this can help me.  I need some tips, especially from those who have large families.
1  My closets are terribly unorganized.  I need to maximize the storage we have, but really, don't have a good grasp on where to start.  So, any tips(minus buying those cool closet organizers), especially from families with kids with share closets would be appreciated. 
2  Next, our grocery bill seems to be getting waaaay out of hand.  Carter and Abby now eat like adults.  We are constantly running out of things and going back to the store.  Remember my strict budgeting for groceries?  Well, not working!  Pretty much that has fallen by the wayside.  I speak a good game, but really, I'm a wimp at following through.
3  Does anyone know if I can sweet talk my way out of paying on medical bills?  I mean, really, they got my insurance payment and I've made a few months payments, but it is really stressing me out.  So, if you have some tips in negotiating with hospitals(yeah, I know, I work in one) I sure could use them.
4  Anybody know of cute, inexpensive, and easy to make teacher gifts that they will actually enjoy?  Mike's been a principal for 10 years now and I know how many mugs and candy teachers get.  I'd like to make something.
5  Books?  Id like a few new suggestions.  I prefer ones that beef up my faith, but I also enjoy decent fiction, like The Nanny Diaries.

So, if you can help me out, post in the comments or email me

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I don't have a large family, BUT we do budget so maybe I can give you some ideas. For yoru grocery budgeting....If you haven't already I'd suggest taking a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace Class. It's a 13 week course. It's life changing. It really helped us and TONS of people I know get their budget in order and start saving TONS of money! For medical bills, I don't know how to completely get out of them, but for some hospitals, if you pay in full in cash, they give you a 20% "discount". For teacher gifts....I give homemade jelly that I've made and homemade spice bread. It's pretty easy to make both and relatively cheap! And I have no idea on books. I'm in a reading rut right now! I'm sure I'll check your comments to see what people say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dania, great tips! Can you email me(beepa27@gmail.com) your spice bread? It sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all must be in the same boat. Here's what I'm thinking....

    1. The closet situation is nuts. The best thing we did was buy the closet storage organizer that Lowe's or Home Depot has. It was maybe $50 (but I think less) and we have now put them in four homes. We've gotten pretty good at putting them in! It really does help. I think a transformed closet is worth $50 in peace of mind!

    2. Our grocery bill is crazy too. We stopped doing E-Mealz ages ago and I am going to start again. When we were diligently doing this my total at the end was much more manageable and I had dinner planned.

    3. I don't think you can talk your way out of medical bills, but you can ask to pay them out in more payments. I hate to break it to you, but your employer is the absolute WORST about demanding large payments. Infact, out of all 4 or 5 hospitals we see fairly often, they are the only one that gets ugly. All the rest are happy to take $20 a month for years. So, I don't know, but you can at least try to get the payments lowered.

    4. Teacher gifts. UGH! As a teacher, I personally am so excited with a $5 starbucks card. No effort needed. We get so many homemade treats. Starbucks or any gift card is appreciated. But if you want to make something, how about white chocolate coated popcorn. Supper easy and CHEAP!! Or, check out Target's dollar bins for cute tubs/boxes that are holidayish and then get a miniature poinsetta or some other plant and pop it in and your done.

    5. I don't have time to read. But I'm about to start a new Francine Rivers. I'll let you know how it is.

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got an email about a new book called Large Family Logistics. $5 dinners blog or book might help. Crockpot 365 (blog) might be good. I was thinking of doing the $5 gift certificates for teachers (therapists in our case).

    ReplyDelete